Under the scope of the 26th Istanbul Jazz Festival, which was held between June 29 and July 18 2019, the children’s book Jazz in Colours was published with the support of Bernard Van Leer Foundation.
The book prepared by Burcu Ural Kopan and illustrated by Macide Damla Akyürek has been contributed to by Batu Akyol, Feridun Ertaşkan, Yekta Kopan, Sibel Köse, Pelin Opcin, Hülya Tunçağ and Buket Uzuner with their writings, and Kenan Doğulu, Cenk Erdoğan, Zuhal Focan, Harun İzer, Ozan Musluoğlu, Ayşe Tütüncü and Fahrettin Yarkın with their answers to various questions.
The book consisting of seven chapters inspired by the seven colours of the rainbow, familiarises children with the colourful and playful world of jazz. Jazz in Colours, which also contains a suggested listening list, was provided free of charge for children and families at affiliated bookstores and İKSV Alt Kat. Prof Dr Feyza Çorapçı from Boğaziçi University, Department of Psychology provided academic counselling for the book that was published in Turkish and English.
A promotional event for the book was held at the A Childlike Day event as a part of the 26th Istanbul Jazz Festival programme. A special workshop programme in connection with Jazz in Colours will be held at İKSV Alt Kat: Learning and Interaction Space before the 2020 festival.
You can download the activity pages designed for seven different parts of the book and published in PDF form each week since April 2020 from the links below as well as the playlists:
- “What Is This Thing Called Jazz?” // Activity Pages – Playlist
- “The Story of Jazz” // Activity Pages – Playlist
- “Creating Together” // Activity Pages – Playlist
- “Where Does This Sound Come From?” // Activity Pages – Playlist
- “Jazz in Your Own Voice” // Activity Pages – Playlist
- “Different Sounds From the World” // Activity Pages – Playlist
- “Listening To Your Heart” // Activity Pages – Playlist