OPEN CALL: Design the CAMEKÂN (Display Case)
İKSV Alt Kat is issuing an open call seeking designers for a public space production project in collaboration with the Istanbul Design Biennial and Graphic Designers Professional Organisation (GMK). For the project, which will be realised with the support of the Istanbul Development Agency (İSTKA), the six square meters display case on the façade of İKSV Alt Kat: Learning and Interaction Space located on the ground floor of the Nejat Eczacıbaşı Building in Şişhane, will transform into a space for design and production.
What is CAMEKÂN?
Under the programme organised by the Istanbul Design Biennial in collaboration with İKSV Alt Kat and GMK, a work produced by a young graphic designer or communication designer using basic design elements will be exhibited on a public space each month.
The projects selected by the board members through open call will be exhibited for one month starting March 2019 on the six square meter display case at the façade of the Nejat Eczacıbaşı Building.
Pick one of the basic design elements and propose a new design for CAMEKÂN!
- Dot, Line, Shape, Colour, Texture, Size, Motion, Symmetry / Asymmetry, Positive / Negative Space: These elements constitute the fundamentals of design and will be providing designers who wish to participate in the CAMEKÂN project with a vast area to work.
- You are required to use a minimum of one or a maximum of three of these basic design elements with the intention to reconsider the fundamentals of design in your project.
- In addition to these basic design elements, it is entirely up to you how to lay the groundwork for your project with various concepts of your choosing.
- The produced designs are going to be exhibited in a 2,5m x 2,4m x 0,3m display case. Works can be two dimensional or three dimensional. Applicants are free to use various mediums or printing techniques including typography, photography or video.
İKSV Alt Kat awaits your project proposals for CAMEKÂN.
Dimensions: 2,5m x 2,4m 0,3m
Who may apply?
Any graphic designer or communication designer who is 26 years of age or under and is currently working, residing or studying in Istanbul, or has graduated from any university in Turkey may apply.
How to apply?
To submit, send the application form, the project you plan to produce and its presentation, a brief letter of introduction, and a brief description of your design via Google Forms. You can find the application form here.
When is the application deadline?
The applications can be submitted until 18.00 on 1 February, 2019.
Who will evaluate the applications?
A board consisting of 5 members from İKSV and Graphic Designers Professional Organisation will evaluate the applications. Selected designers will receive consultation and supervision from board members to support the production process. First-term board members:
Istanbul Design Biennial Director Deniz Ova
İKSV Corporate Identity and Publications Director Didem Ermiş
Artist, Graphic Designer, GMK Member Pınar Akkurt
Graphic Designer, MSGSÜ Faculty Member, GMK Member Umut Südüak
Creative Director of Fol Studio, Assistant Chairman of GMK Board of Directors Volkan Ölmez
When will the results be announced?
The designs selected for the 2019 March-August period will be announced via the Istanbul Design Biennial, GMK and İKSV Alt Kat websites on 8 February, 2019. Applicants who are denied participation will receive a notification via e-mail, however detailed explanations will not be provided. Another open call will be issued for the second 6-month term of the project.
What is İKSV Alt Kat?
İKSV Alt Kat is a learning and interaction space founded with the support of the Istanbul Development Agency (İSTKA).
CAMEKÂN aims to provide a platform that reaches large masses for young graphic and communication designers to put forth original ideas thus supporting young designers’ careers through visibility in a public space.
Istanbul Jazz Festival Open Call: Children’s Workshop Design Programme in Music
The Istanbul Jazz Festival will be organising the Children’s Workshop Design Programme in Music or musicians who desire to work with children. The programme will be held at İKSV Alt Kat: Learning and Interaction Space, founded with the support of the Istanbul Development Agency (İSTKA) and the project partnership of Boğaziçi University.
Programme goals and objectives
The programme aims to provide support for accomplished musicians in designing workshops for children of various age groups that raise the children’s interest in music, improves their sense of rhythm and promotes their creativity. Musicians who join the programme will have the opportunity to participate in “Seminars for Supporting Learning Processes of Children and Youth at Culture and Arts Workshops” and master classes organised by experts in the field, thus acquiring experience in creating and applying creative workshop content for children.
The scope of the programme
- Four 6-hour long seminars with a total of 24 hours on supporting the learning processes of children and teenagers.
- A master class with two different experts.
- One single session, and one twelve-session workshop design.
- The opportunity for two selected workshops to be realised at İKSV Alt Kat: Learning and Interaction Space and to be presented or reorganised at appropriate events at the Istanbul Jazz Festival.
Participation in the programme
- Participation in the programme is free of charge. However, the number of participants is limited.
- The programme will be held in Turkish.
- Applications containing a brief CV and a motivational letter explaining why you want to participate in the programme can be submitted to email@example.com until 25 January 2019.
- On 23-24 February and 2-3 March 2019 seminars on the learning processes of children and teenagers will be held at İKSV Alt Kat: Learning and Interaction Space in İKSV Nejat Eczacıbaşı Building in Şişhane, Beyoğlu by members of the faculties of Arts and Sciences, and Education of Boğaziçi University. (A detailed programme will be announced to participants in February 2019.)
- Following the seminars, a master class will be held with two experts. (The experts and exact dates will be announced to participants in February 2019.)
- Certificates of participation will be presented to musicians who attend all of the seminars.
- At the end of their training, participants will be asked to design content until 25 March 2019 for designated age groups for a single session, and a twelve session workshop.
- A board consisting of faculty members of Boğaziçi University and experts from İKSV will evaluate the workshop proposals. Feedback will be provided to participants. Participants will be required to deliver their finalised project until 6 April 2019.
- Two of the workshop proposals will be selected and be realised at İKSV Alt Kat: Learning and Interaction Space through April to June with the participation of children from corresponding age groups. Performances created at the workshops and/or reorganised workshops will be a part of appropriate events of the Istanbul Jazz Festival programme.
The content of this publication, prepared within the scope of "İKSV Learning and Interaction Space Creative Workshop Programme for Children and Youth” that is supported by the Istanbul Development Agency, does not reflect the views of Istanbul Development Agency or the Industry and Technology Ministry of Turkey. Istanbul Foundation for Culture and Arts is the only party responsible for the content.